Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Okay, part 3, last part

Clay and I pulled into the birthing center parking lot and I immediately hopped out and started crouching. My doula (who had just showed up with the midwife, who was unlocking the center door) ran over to me and started rubbing my back. Once the door was open, I hurried in. The lights were all off and the air felt chilly. So very strange to be showing up here with only a small posse instead of the bustle of a busy ER.

"Let's go downstairs to the office to check if you're at 5," said Lindsay (the midwife). I must have looked at her like she was bananas, because she quickly changed her tune. "Or we could just go into the birthing room and do it there..." 

I slid off my Uggs onto a pile of other shoes and then somehow ended up on the birthing room bed. (Set-up = A regular ol' bedroom with a queen size (I think?) bed and a rocking chair and some tastefully hidden medical equipment, then an en suite bathroom with a shower and birthing tub.) I squirmed as she checked me, desperate to get back in the shower.

"Hey! 5! You can stay!"

We all did a little cheer and I immediately booked it to the bathroom. 

My doula, Shannon, turned on the shower while I stripped down to my undies and bra. (Or maybe I took my underwear off. I guess I did.) 

"So things are probably going to get a bit more intense from here on out," she warned. "And faster, too." This was all around 6:30, I think.

I felt a touch of panic shoot through when she said that, but didn't have a ton of time to dwell on it, as the contractions were coming right on top of each other. The shower was small and the water didn't feel hot enough and I couldn't get my positioning right. Shannon sat outside the shower and held the shower wand, moving it around my lower back while I crouched in the corner. She was getting soaking wet and we couldn't really hear each other. My shower at home was much roomier and the water much hotter and I felt frustrated by the downgrade. 

I didn't know whether to stand up or sit down because nothing was relieving either the pressure or pain or intensity. The only thing that helped was getting loud.

Clay had teased me through the pregnancy that I'd be screaming through it all, while everyone politely watched from their stations in the room -- but I was certain that wouldn't happen. "I'm more of the get-silent-during-serious-pain type..." Because sure, when I stub my toe or have a terrible headache, I retreat and get quiet. But this was a whole new planet of sensation. 

My loose plan had been to labor in the tub and then give birth on the bed. I didn't want a water birth because it weirded me out, quite honestly. I pictured laboring in the water for hours and hours and it being filled with all kinds of junk and then pushing my innocent little bub into all that. No.

After awhile in the shower (20 minutes maybe? 20 years?) I asked if the tub was ready. "It's not quite filled, but you can get in if you want..." 

I scooted from the shower to the tub and sank in. Or, rather, I wanted to feel like I was sinking in, but it probably was only halfway filled and the temperature felt tepid. I didn't feel any pain relief, but I did like having more freedom to move and the water did feel comforting. Like I was a little more hidden from everyone else in the room. 

As soon as I got in, a contraction hit me that lasted about 2 minutes. It was so unbelievably intense and crushing, I remember literally dropping my jaw afterward and staring at the midwife, who was kneeling by the tub. 

"Why is this happening? Why am I having no break? I'm only at 5! It's not supposed to go like this! Is it going to feel like this for SIX MORE HOURS?!"

She smiled, all Mona Lisa, and said, "Maybe." I hated her forever and the rest of my life after that. I wanted someone to say "It could, it could. But probably not if it's this intense already. You're probably in transition! You're doing such a good job! You're right! This is so painful!" But yeah, she just smiled and said "Maybe." 

By now, whenever a contraction would hit, I'd spring up to my knees, take a cold washcloth offered by my doula (another very placid and Mona Lisa type) and gnash it back and forth across my forehead while I counted. Or moaned. Or yelled. The midwife and doula stayed kneeling, saintly, by the tub.

"I really, really, really feel like I should get checked." We're probably at....6:45 now. 
"Okay. We only checked you a half hour ago, but we can do it again."
I laid very awkwardly on my back and she checked me. "7!" 
"Is that good? That's good, right?"
"Yes! That's good."
"So it probably won't be 6 more hours..."
"Right." A chuckle. (Don't chuckle at me!) "In fact, I need to get the nurse here." (Who showed up quickly. And I liked her! She was really nice.) 

Throughout this, I was a total and complete b about letting them check the fetal heart rate. Which in retrospect really freaks me out, since that's not my way at all. (Me, who rented a doppler for the first 6 months of pregnancy and checked her heartbeat everyday!) They'd try to get near me with it and I'm all "No! Stop! She's fine!" Right on, Amy. They were pushier than I was, because they had to be, so she did get checked frequently, but I did not make it easy.

Most of my labor I felt like a weird, sad whale alone in a small pool. With people staring at me like "Huh? Why'd this whale show up? I thought this was free swim..." It didn't feel great.

15 or 20 minutes after I was at a 7, I felt like I had to go to the bathroom in a very, very intense way. "I think I have to go! I mean, I feel like I have to go, but I don't!" 
"You can go, and we'll clean it up..."
"Ah! No! No. I know that's not it, I'm just saying it feels different!!!!"
"I think we need to check you again..."

And now I was at a 9.5 with just the tiniest bit left to go. Just two or three more contractions, they said. 

"Just picture your cervix is a tight turtleneck being pulled over your baby's head!"

I think the look I gave Shannon after that gem shut her up pretty good.

Oh, dude, did I want this done. But I couldn't push yet, so I turned my back to everybody and faced the window. I put my arms over my head and kneeled in the W position and screamed. And screamed. I visualized my body splitting apart and I imagined some kind of benevolent force was helping it split. I was in such shock that a body could feel like this and not be dead that the me who was definitely living outside of my body right then giggled a little. I screamed and roared and imagined that the baby was helping me. At the end of the third contraction, I felt very very frantic kicking in my abdomen and, what I can only describe as... swirling? Like when the very last bit of water is going down the bathtub drain...

And then suddenly I yelled "Something's happening! I'm not doing this!" 

My whole body seized up and bore down. Sort of like how you contract and heave when you throw up, but this was throwing...down. I wasn't doing it, but then again I guess I was.

"I'm not in control, I'M NOT DOING THIS!"

"Yes, you are! You're in total control! It's your body, it's the baby!" 

Uh.

Okay, I guess? But I always thought you reached a certain level of pain, felt immense pressure, and then pushed against it. Not that your baby would handle that whole process for you? I mean, thanks Bea, but mama's got this. I felt super scared and weirded out. The sad whale now felt like she was in Alien. But the pain was ever so slightly lessening, so I tried to focus on that.

Every minute or so, my stomach would squeeze into a cone shape and that bizarre sensation would hit again. I still hadn't been checked again, but I knew I had to be at 10. I finally let them check me and yup, at a 10 and baby girl was mostly down and through the canal already. I think this was 7:30. I was definitely about to birth in this tub because no way no way was I getting out. The idea of walking or moving or doing anything but staying rooted to aliveness was laughable.

Baby had pushed herself to the edge and now I had to do the rest. This was much harder than I thought it would be, but only because it just really hurt. Oh and because she was a tank. So I would push, but not my hardest, and then my foot would slip or I couldn't get in the right angle and I'd have a tiny break from the pain and pressure and it would be so wonderful. Then it was time again and that crazy, searing pain returned, and I just couldn't believe I'd have to go fully into that after what I'd already been through. At one point, I could fully feel her entire head and everything just rightright there and I didn't even care. Like, maybe I could just enjoy my second child in this manner? 

After 15 minutes or so, I could tell the room was getting frustrated. "We need to move to the bed if we can't make progress here..." That did it for me. No can do. I finally found a good position and gave myself a pep talk. This was going to singlehandedly be the most insane thing ever ever that would happen to me, but then it would be done. And I'd have her. I took a deep breath and pushed and pushed and pushed. 

And then woop! Searing over. The midwife brought her hands up out of the water and with them a huge, pink, slippery, beautiful baby girl was on my chest. With a true knot in her long umbilical cord and a perfectly round head from coming out so fast. 9 pounds, 2.5 ounces and a loud loud loud cry. 7:58 PM. I was in shock and in love and couldn't believe it had already happened.

She was so soft and squishy and I squeezed her tight. I really felt like we'd just done all that together. I kept kissing her little nose and closing my eyes. I'd waited so, so very long. 

Oh, oh. My Beanut! My new person. She was here. 

It was therapeutic to write this all out and apologies if it seemed super random to throw it up without much explanation. I'm glad to have a record now of sweet Bea's birth story in addition to Harper's much (much!) different one. I'm glad I waited till now, too, as some of the extreme rawness has faded and I can tell it without interjecting too much emoting. 

There was some real weirdness with midwife and doula and such, but that stuff doesn't matter in the end and I hope I kept that side of the experience to a minimum, while still saying honest. Natural birth is, for sure, empowering and powerful and primal. I recovered faster and I loved how alert Bea was so shortly afterward. I'm still pondering whether all that pain was "worth it" (whatever that even means!), though, and why we hold unmedicated birth as some supreme and superior way to bring our babies into this world. I don't think I agree. But! Maybe more on that at another time. For now...back to our regularly scheduled programming! 






6 comments:

  1. Awwww! Just read all 3 parts and LOVED it! Man, giving birth is such a crazy, cool, raw experience. I love it. Weird, right?! But I do. It's my favorite part of pregnancy - getting the baby OUT! That being said, I've had both a medicated and unmedicated delivery as well and I totally agree with you….not sure the whole anti-pain meds thing is all it's cracked up to be. At all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oof! Too soon! Too soon! Not really (ish) but you really put into words the insanity that is birthing a being without anything to take the reality of said situation away. It's just a shocking thing even though it really shouldn't be shocking given the logistics.

    Question-pretending you were having a third baby, what would you choose for delivery? Hospital? Birth center? Medicated or unmed?

    And finally, funny that you wanted a bed birth as I wanted a water birth and we both ended up "stuck" in the opposite but happily ("happily") made it work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That IS funny that we ended up in the opposites! So, so "happily" ;)

    Third baby hmm. A hospital definitely. I missed having someone bring me coke with crushed ice! And though this turned out well, if it hadn't...ugh. I would almost definitely get an epidural (if I got there in time!) especially because I checked off this challenge to myself and feel ZERO need to prove myself to...myself or anyone else. (A pressure I self-invented, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Nicole Yes, dear -- you ARE weird! Haha no, I do understand. I actually really looked forward to the birthing experience this round because I knew it was going to be so different and because it seemed like an adventure -- and because I knew how amazing it is to meet your baby after all that time! You have such intense birthing experiences, I know you get where I'm coming from!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I typed a long response, which the internet ate. I really wonder often if the internet sensors me. Like it thinks my writings are too long or rambly and so it disposes of them. It'll be hard to prove though. I read your birth story with tears in my eyes. It was so beautifully written and I felt like I was there! (Well...not there in the water with you but you get what I mean :). On to my original thoughts (which I will try to condense this time). I applaud you for voicing the fact we need to stop all the 'my way of birthing this baby' is THE BEST. I had my first son via emergency c section...I wouldnt have chosen a c section of course but didn't have a choice. He sadly passed away one month after his birth, and that experience has led me to have SO much more perspective on child birth and raising. Due to the first c section, and my hospitals views on VBAC my next two children were born the same way. I have NO regrets or remorse about that. I don't feel any less than someone who delivered differently though I think natural childbirth is crazy and amazing and wonderful and empowering. But I feel all those things too when I look back on delivering all my children too. I think we should celebrate all women who give birth, regardless of whatever part of her body the baby exits from. Three cheers for you for voicing it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine how losing your son would put all this insane measuring up birthing sh*t into major perspective. I'm so very sorry. I know it's difficult for people to gain a new world view over things like this without going through something very deep and raw -- I just wish there were a way for people to come to it on their own. I know a few friends who still feel like they "failed" bc of sections... and I know it means nothing from me to say "but you didn't!"
      I can honestly say that my experience really traumatized me and caused my first two months to be very difficult emotionally. I had formerly judged people who were obsessed with a rough birth (I'm a b), but now I just get it. I'm still puzzling why natural birth gets such amazing press. I think about it much too much actually and hope to pull my thoughts together on it in a cohesive way sometime soon. ALL that matters is that the mother feels comfortable (however that is achieved, whether that means pain free or not) and that the baby gets out okay. Sigh.
      Anyway -- thank you for your words and I'm sorry the first round got eaten!!

      Delete