Sunday, November 23, 2014

On writing, part 2

Last week was a hard week that punched me in the face a few separate times. I kept wanting to escape into my writing to deal with it and use my anxious energy for good, but the project next at bat was that dealing-as-a-cancer-spouse book idea. And you know what? Turns out that's not something I want to dive into when I've finally found a delicious and sacred hour to write. Because every time I've tried to sit down and really get rolling, my whole body/soul/mind/breakfast recoils.

And then I was reading one of my 1200 Buddhist/mindfulness books this morning and a passage was focusing on, what else, living in today and only today instead of yesterday and all the old yesterdays and hark! I realized no, no, no -- this isn't for me.

And anyways, yo, what I need to push myself to do is write fiction. It's why I did that summer writing program at Yale (the very week I found out I was pregnant with Bea -- oooohhh there were some very queasy editorial panels I sat through) -- to find out if I could actually do fiction. Like at all. To see if I could do more than write about my life in short bursts. And I came away after those 10 days feeling like I could, like I can.

But it's a lot harder for me (I think for anyone) to sit down and work on a story than to sit down and bang out a quick anecdote. So I fight it a little and look for other things to do (there are just so many closets to clean!) when all I really want is to write a great -- or good, I'll take good! -- story.

I want to work on a world that I'll want to escape into when it's time to work. Like Mma Ramotswe's Botswana or sure okay it's not a book but it's heaven -- Stars Hollow. I love that kind of stuff and I seek it out like crack and I want to try my best to make my own. (Insert Walter White joke here.)

Writing about writing is another delay tactic of sorts, sure, but who cares. I feel a weight off my shoulders typing this post because: Do not have to write sad cancer book! Can write warm and hopefully funny novel book! Tarzan happy and drink hot cocoa under covers now!

Oh and coda: Behold my baby who turned 9 months this weekend! I don't type about her nearly as much as I did Harper on my old blog, but trust me when I say she is a w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l baby. Funny and curious and loud and loving and just happy. My tiny bumble Bea.


2 comments:

  1. #preach!

    Weird! I thought something posted but maybe it didn't. I've been doing some flash fiction recently where I write something 3min/3 pages long and take it from there if I think there's legs for something longer.

    Also, I have been toying with this idea of doing something 500 words standalone then another person would write another 500 words based on an ancillary character in the story and so on and so on. Like a "crash" but way less serious. Let me know if youre ever interested.

    in the mean time keep thinking about writing. doing it and thinking about it are both intoxicating :) just one there's a product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to fiction! I love it to escape:) remember all those sily novels we read when we had no limits with our first kid... Marvelous happy escape with you ability for humor would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete