Monday, December 22, 2014

Recurrent chemical pregnancies (A delightful holiday tale!)

This is a weird and hard post to begin and complete, so I'm going to take the burden off myself to make it perfect or even memorable and just throw down some words. I know I ate up anything I could find on this subject, so maybe some little thing I write might help somebody, somewhere.

It was really easy to get pregnant the first time. I wanted a baby, so we did what you do and on the second month I was knocked up. And it stuck and she came out big and healthy and that was that.

When I was ready to try again, in September of 2011, I assumed the process would be roughly the same. I was a little older and Clay had gone through chemo and I was certainly stressed, so maybe it would take a few extra months?

After probably three cycles of trying, it happened. But almost as soon as the line turned dark, it faded. It was a chemical pregnancy. It was jarring and it freaked me out. Even though chemicals are really common, I had this gut feeling that this was the beginning of a longer process. We were living in the rental house in Westport and it was Christmastime and I Googled a million different searches to read about what to expect ("AM I NOW BARREN") but not the fun kind of what to expect.

I eventually shook it off and we went back to trying. In May 2012 I got pregnant again. Ooo, perfect: Another February baby! And they'd be three years apart exactly, which was the age difference I'd wanted. This time I went to the doctor for a blood test because I was interested in my HCG levels. The day after my missed period I was only at an 18, which is really low. (It should be in the 100-1000 range...) They were all "it might stick!" but I knew it wouldn't. Just like before, three days after my missed period the line was gone and it was over.

I started to panic a little/a lot. I got hooked up with a reproductive endo who told me there was probably nothing wrong with me, that these things just happen. He ran a bunch of tests, took a bunch of blood, and checked out my uterus. And hey oh! There was a big polyp in there! So I had a surgery in September 2012 to remove it. I was so excited that there was this actual, concrete problem. It had to be the reason.

Through all this, I felt so isolated. I already had a kid so I felt like I couldn't legitimately complain. It had only been about a year of trying, so that wasn't that bad either. I didn't know anyone who'd gone through this so I didn't know who to talk to. Clay didn't seem bothered and didn't want to discuss it. So many people around me were onto their second or third babies, but I felt like I had to make up reasons why I wasn't. "I've always wanted a big spacing!" "It's so nice to have sleep finally!" "I know it'll work out!" But inside I was 100%, all-the-time freaking out.

After my surgery, I had two quick pregnancies. October and then November of 2012. Both ended exactly three days after my missed period. I'd now completely lost faith in the second line on a test and couldn't believe that some people posted the picture immediately after taking it. Or announced it right away. It seemed insane and so naive.

I felt so in limbo and so sad. I didn't want to buy cute clothes because what if I got pregnant and my body changed? I didn't want to look for a job because what if I got pregnant? I didn't really want to do anything because I couldn't think about anything else. I was obsessed (o-b-s-e-s-s-e-d), but felt like I completely had to hide my obsession. I dealt with it all very privately and worked to perfect my answers to all the inevitable "do you want another?" questions. I felt awful because I wasn't working, my whole role was full time mother, and yet I felt like I wasn't doing "enough" (whatever that means!) in terms of mothering. Because I couldn't grow another baby.

There were all sorts of women who I (admittedly insanely) felt were showing me up. Like Clay's ex-girlfriend who was working full time in a fancy job and had just had her third baby -- and I felt like a complete failure. What the hell was I doing? She wanted to have brunch with us, to bring over the new baby, and I just could not handle it. I avoided people, I stopped following pregnant people on Instagram, I told myself terrible things.

I stopped going to the reproductive endo because his next move was IVF and I just wasn't ready yet. I didn't know what I was going to do, but I wanted to try something alternative first.

So after reading a lot of positive experiences about it, I started acupuncture in January of 2013. I told myself I'd do four months of it, not worry too much about trying in the meantime and go from there. I went once a week until April and hated every minute of it (though I did love the actual acupuncturist, she was amazing), but I could feel subtle changes in my body. When I got my period, they felt like they used to pre-Harper. I won't go into graphic details, but I just felt like my old, super hormonal self.

Toward the end of treatment, I went to see a second reproductive endo, this time one I really liked. I wanted to make sure I had every blood test possible to make sure I really was starting on a clean slate after acupuncture. I got 20 vials of blood taken and a lot of extra blood sugar work because my blood sugar had come back a little strange. While I waited for the results and my next appointment in June, there was a well-timed marital encounter in late May 2013.

Just nine days later, in early June, when my friend was over with her two kids and 12 weeks pregnant with her third, I noticed how sore my chest was. That's not a symptom I get monthly -- wasn't even a symptom I had while pregnant with Harper -- so I thought hmmm? When Harper was in bed that night I drove way too far to find a Dollar Tree so I could stock up on a thousand pee strips and obsess over faint, faint lines. Except that when I hurried into my bathroom and took the test, the line was definitely not faint, definitely not a maybe. On just nine days past ovulation it came up immediately and was super, super dark. Say wha?

And that was Bea.

They think I was probably pregnant with twins to start with. They saw a weird undeveloped blob on an early sonogram and my HCG levels were through the roof from an early, early stage. (64,000 at my first appointment -- I think they were looking for 1,000-5,000.) It would explain the really dark, early test and why I got morning sickness before I even missed my period - - which coincided perfectly with a 10-day writing seminar I took at Yale. I kept dry heaving during panels of editors and weeping uncontrollably over waffles in the dining hall. Of course the whole time I kept taking those Dollar Tree tests in my dorm bathroom, expecting them to fade at any minute. But! Soon the test line was darker than the control and I just kept getting sicker and sicker, depressingly unable to enjoy the Shake Shack that was within walking distance.

And as long as that whole, lonesome journey had felt -- it was suddenly over. I was going to have the two kids I wanted. All that junk in the past was just junk in the past.

I have no idea what caused those four chemical pregnancies, or what took me almost 2 years to get pregnant. And I don't know if the four months of acupuncture helped (I really think it did -- but I'll never know how or why) or maybe the fact I got a root canal done the week before I got pregnant or that I lost 5 pounds a few months before. Was it because I started going forward with life plans -- taking a weekend away with girlfriends in New York, doing the Yale thing? Was it nothing and just time passing would have solved it all? Don't know, don't know, don't know.

I do know that what I went through (not the chemical part, exactly, I think that's kinda weird still) is not uncommon at all. So many women have a tough time getting pregnant -- either the first time or second time or third time or anytime. For all the people out there who brag "my husband just has to LOOK AT ME and I'm pregnant!" there are just as many thinking "NOT ME!"

And I know that sometimes when you're in something like infertility it can feel murky and dark for so, so long. But looking back, it wasn't really the longest or the worst and it somehow just passed. As time always seems to. I wish I hadn't been so hard on myself, I wish I'd seen how much I was doing for Harper, and how it gave me time to write more and sleep a bit more and have some great adventures. (Spain and Disney and Chicago and New Haven!)

(And now I feel like I'm writing Oprah's What I Know for Sure column...)

I know that the people who seem like they have it all together probably don't. They're feeling stressed by too many kids maybe. Or a career they're unsure of. Or their marriage is rocky or their parents aren't well or they're just plagued by typical and boring shortcomings like the rest of us. We have no idea what's going on behind others' walls and it's a waste to worry about it. Off with your head, Pinterest and Instagram!

It can be hard to hear "it'll be okay!" from someone on the other side of this, so I'll resist the urge to go there. But I do hope anyone treading these waters knows they are definitely not alone and they're definitely not crazy for feeling crazy or obsessed or worried. It's all normal and it's all life and I guess I just want to say -- I hear you and hang in there.





16 comments:

  1. This is so,so well written- really detailed but to the point, and it outlines so clearly that period in your life. I want more people to be reading your blog- it's so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always amazing writing by an amazing lady about a topic that is so often avoided. Thank you for sharing. I hope it finds people who need to know they are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so amazed at how fertility (and infertility) can consume one's life, and the rest of the world can stay so completely unaware of one's inner turmoil, and obsession. I have a specific issue that makes me completely infertile without intervention. Then WITH all the interventions, there's still a bunch of luck involved. I went from August 2013 to May 2014 having treatments, accupuncture, a surgery, one miscarriage, research, etc etc etc. And then one day it's all over with a successful pregnancy! So weird how that works. But I can so vividly remember how all-consuming it can be, and so hard to relate to others not going through it. I wasn't that private about it, but still it's very lonely no matter what.

    Thanks so much for sharing and I am so glad that you got Bea out of the whole thing! I am 6 weeks away from meeting our little #2 (a boy) that cost us an arm and a leg, in more ways than one ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very lonely indeed. i'm sorry you had your own struggles -- i'm so glad we both came out of the maze! i'm really excited for your little dude addition -- you're going to love having two.

      Delete
  4. Oh, yes, yes, yes, my friend. The uncertainty is hard enough, but then we really do beat ourselves up about it, don't we? Right now I'm really happy with one kid, but I always feel like I'm "supposed" to have another (because?) and find it so hard to separate my feelings from outside influences when I try to figure out what I want our family to look like in the future.

    And then I think that it took two years to get the first one, and when it wasn't working I was so, so sad, and the world was a minefield of people whose bodies did work, unlike mine. So do I really want to set myself up to want something that very well might not even happen? Oy. There's nothing easy about any of it, is the moral, I guess.

    Holy personal comment, me. Thank you for a lovely and pitch perfect post, per usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for sharing your experience! part of finding these posts was reading EVERY comment for more experiences and info. it means a lot when people are honest and forthcoming -- so thank YOU.

      having baby #2 (tho it became an obsession) was much more intellectual for me than baby #1. i wanted harper to have a sibling and i knew how much i'd enjoy another, but it came from a different place somehow. so i hear you there.

      i think having 1 child can be absolutely fantastic and that's not just blah blah. many of my friends are the one kid in their family and had great experiences -- lots of travel and special time with parents and a very special threeway bond.

      the great thing is we're still on the young side of thirties and there's lots and lots of time for it to happen if you're interested. harper and bea are 4 apart and i'm so, so happy with the age spacing. 5 or 6 years would be fine, too!!

      good luck whatever you decide and whatever happens i know you'll have a lovely, happy family :) and thanks again for sharing!

      Delete
  5. So perfectly written. I have to admit I blinked back tears throughout my read. its a lonely lonely place, infertility, loss...I don't have experience with recurrent miscarriages but we've had two losses, and you just are not the same even if you make it to the other side. People are so well meaning--and NOSY! Damn they are NOSY! I know the questions are well intentioned, small talk, polite--but they are a KNIFE to the heart when you are sitting there in your own silent private hell.
    I have no doubt that a google searching woman out there will stumble on this and your words will perhaps not HEAL, but help.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, friend.

      people are so, so nosy! i decided a LOT of it came from them having no idea what to say and just saying something automatically. i'm sure i've done the same, tho am MUCH more aware of my words now. it's such a private hell and it sucks we've all agreed to be quiet about it. hopefully that will slowly change.

      i love your beautiful family so much, though i know it doesn't feel complete. you are so strong and such a great mom! thanks for being my internets -hopefully - one- day - real- life- friend :)

      Delete
  6. This is so common, yet no one talks about it. If I could go back, I would just come out and say, "yeah, I'm trying to get knocked up!" Or, "Why yes we plan to procreate at least 3 times, if not more". I had 2 miscarriages and it took me 18 months to conceive my first. I bought a $200 digital ovulation kit and we finally got it right. (This kit was revolutionary in 2001 ;) ) After that, I was one of those obnoxious people that could get pregnant just by looking at my husband. We need to talk about these things so we know that we are not alone. I did not get pregnant easily at first, but I was pregnant 5 times with a painful miscarriage inbetween. (Emotionally and physically) The first miscarriage was probably a chemical one before I got pregnant with my almost 13 year old. Some day I hope women can talk about their loses openly (and dreams) without the awkward silence. Talking helps the pain go away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to add that I now have 3 children ages 12 1/2, 10 and 5 and I'm DONE with a ginormous D. You know if your family is complete whether it's 1 child or 19. I did not do anything permanent after kid #2 because I was uncertain. Kid #3 I wanted them to take my uterus out, but they wouldn't. It's ironic I have nightmares that I'm pregnant now. 14 years ago I was convinced it might not happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really well written and I'm glad you put it out there without doing all the word polishing - I think it would have lost its raw truth with that.

    So glad you got your Bea and I know this will give someone in the e-world comfort.

    PS - Total false advertising on the delightful holiday tale part, BTW. Not enough Christmas at all. WHERE IS SANTA?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so refreshing to read this. I'm finally pregnant with baby number 2 (eep!) and never expected to struggle with secondary infertility. I fell pregnant so easily the first time and never expected to have trouble the second time around. Then I had a shot of hormonal birth control (which I had used years ago for ages with no ill effects) and it must have done something crazy with my post-baby hormones because I had a period every 14 days and it was just nuts. The GP was all 'gee, I don't know... maybe just wait and see if it stops?'.

    So I'm trying to look after a toddler, having constant periods, feeling like death because I probably had no iron... I started acupuncture and it really slowly helped my body recover. It was a great option for me because the only other alternative was IVF and with a 14 day cycle there wasn't any chance it could even work. But then my cycles got longer and longer (like 40 days, 60 days) and I was told I probably had PCOS. Meanwhile everyone and their dog seemed to be having second or third babies, and I was getting lots of really irritating advice like 'just relax! maybe you're stressed!'. Eventually I was referred to a reproductive endo who was the most lovely doctor I have ever seen. The plan was to do lots of bloodwork and then start clomid the following month. And then all the ovulation tests I was doing were positive for like... three weeks. I was thinking 'what the hell is wrong with my body!' and then I found out a +OPK can also mean a positive pregnancy test. So I guess my body decided to get with the program at the last minute :)

    And timing-wise it has worked out perfectly. A 3-ish year gap, we will be moved into our new house, I can homebirth because the changes in legislation have been deferred until Dec 2015 (they are changing rules for IMs in Australia to make it harder for them to practice). But the process to get here was really, really stressful and emotional. I did learn a lot, and I'm going to try and feel zen and all 'well I guess the universe wanted to show me a lesson' but yeah. It was really difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO happy for you and delighted another beautiful babe is coming your way!! Can't wait to stalk all the pics soon :) xo

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing. Even a couple of years later, this post is helping people. I am currently in the midst of a very, very similar story. Reading this has truly helped. It is nice to hear that someone else has gone through this and to know that my emotional reaction to it is "normal." I hope that my story ends in a similarly positive way. After over a year of trying and multiple chemical pregnancies, I have begun to lose all hope that it will just happen on its own, yet I am not ready to move forward with something like IVF without a real diagnosis (because the thought of spending all that time and money and emotional investment to be in the same place is just too much). But it seems like sometimes it does finally "just happen" and we never really know why it wasn't working or why it finally did. I have also recently started acupuncture, so maybe that or some other minor life changes will shift things for me, too. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete